Apple Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel
Makes: 12 muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Recipe Note: Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- The brown sugar can be subbed for coconut sugar, but the muffins will be darker.
- For a non-gluten free version, sub the GF all-purpose flour with regular all-purpose flour.
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons GF all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 cup apple sauce
- ¼ cup Sir Kensington’s Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup granulated cane or light brown sugar (or half and half)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup apple, peeled and finely diced (about 1 large apple)
- 1 3/4 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F..
- Use a fork to combine all ingredients for the streusel topping in a small dish and set aside.
- Whisk together all wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl, but leave the apple aside for now.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix to thoroughly combine.
- Fold in the grated apple.
- Scoop the batter into a lined muffin tray, filling about ¾ of the way up.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping on top.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425, then lower the temperature to 350 and bake an additional 12-16 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in the tray for 10-15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Whisk together the sugar, vanilla and maple syrup for the glaze, then drizzle on top of the muffins once cool.
Find the original recipe by clicking here. (Link opens in new window.)