Cheesy Baked Asparagus
Prep Time: 7 minutes Cook Time: 40-45 minutes Servings: 6-8
- ¾ cup diced uncooked bacon (about 4-6 slices)
- 4 medium-sized cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Maille Dijon Originale mustard
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
Optional: either 1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs or 2-3 tablespoons of croutons for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium-sized cast-iron skillet set over medium heat, begin cooking the bacon, stirring occasionally. After 10 minutes, add the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg, thyme and flour. Next, add the Maille Dijon Originale mustard, before slowly stirring in the heavy cream. Lastly, add in ¾ cup of the grated gruyere cheese and ½ a cup of the grated parmesan cheese and continue stirring just until the cheese finishes melting.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the asparagus and, using tongs, gently toss to coat the vegetables in the sauce. Top with the remaining grated cheese and, if desired, breadcrumbs or croutons.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown, the sauce is bubbling and you can easily pierce the asparagus with a sharp knife. Cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Notes: If you do not have a cast iron or oven-safe skillet, you can prepare the sauce in a separate pan, then simply pour it over the asparagus in a baking dish and continue with the remainder of the recipe as is.
Find the original recipe by clicking here. (Link opens in new window.)