Chipotle Butternut Squash Chili with Chipotle Lime Crema
Makes: 4-6 servings Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 70 minutes Total time: 80 minutes
Recipe note: Vegetarian Friendly, Gluten Free
For Butternut Squash Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle pepper in adobo, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted pepitas
For Chipotle Lime Crema
- 1 cup Sir Kensington’s Chipotle Mayonnaise
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add onion, pepper and butternut squash and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle pepper in adobo, paprika and cinnamon and cook additional minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes and vegetable broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in black beans and season with salt to taste. Add more chipotle peppers if desired. Cover and cook additional 25-30 minutes until butternut squash is tender.
- While chili cooks, combine Chipotle Mayonnaise, lime juice and zest, fresh cilantro and salt to taste. Set aside until ready to serve.
- When it’s time to eat, divide chili among serving bowls and top with Chipotle Lime Crema, avocado and pepitas.