Lentil Veggie Burger
Makes: 6 Burgers
- 1 cup dried lentils (green or brown)
- 4 oz. mushrooms (crimini or similar), finely chopped
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 6 Whole wheat burger buns, sliced
- Cucumber, thinly sliced
- Cilantro, microgreens or other green
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Recommended Burger Toppers: Sir Kensington’s Classic Vegan Mayo or Classic Mayonnaise
- Combine sliced red onions, apple cider vinegar, salt, and water in a bowl and let sit for at least 1 hour.
- Cook lentils until just tender, according to package instructions. (Rinse lentils before cooking. Place 1 cup lentils in a large pot with 4 cups water and ½ tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until tender, about 20-30 minutes; drain well.)
- Once cooked, spread lentils evenly on a sheet pan and cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooled, add lentils to a mixing bowl with chopped mushrooms, smoked paprika and olive oil and mash the mixture, leaving some bigger pieces.
- Add flour and continue to stir until the mixture holds together, and then form into 6 patties and season with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, cook burger patties in a non stick pan with olive oil until well browned on both sides.
- To build the burger, generously spread Sir Kensington’s Classic Vegan Mayo or Classic Mayonnaise on both the top and bottom bun. Top burger with sliced cucumbers, greens and pickled red onions.