Morale, Welfare and Recreation: Your Source for Affordable Fun
Military life has many demands, so morale, welfare and recreation staff want to help you make the most of your free time. MWR is the military’s network of support and leisure programs for service members. On- or off-installation, morale, welfare and recreation provides lots of ways for you to connect with friends and others for entertainment, rest and relaxation — all at reduced or no cost.
R&R on the installation
At military installations around the world, you’ll find a lot to do and enjoy, including:
- Swimming pools: Cool off and relax with recreational swimming. Sign up for swimming lessons, or join an aquatic fitness class for aerobic, low-impact workouts.
- Bowling facilities: Get a few friends together for some games or buddy-up by joining a league.
- Golf courses: From nine holes to full-scale, PGA-quality links, installation golf courses offer fun and fitness at affordable prices. Some locations also offer driving ranges, putting greens and lessons.
- Recreation centers: Many centers help you connect with family and friends with free Wi-Fi and computer use. Or unwind with billiards, air hockey, foosball, table tennis, Xbox, PlayStations and board games. You’ll also find a large library of movies and big-screen TVs to watch them on.
- Trails: Morale, welfare and recreation staff can recommend great local trails where you can hike, bike or take a relaxing walk in nature.
- Auto skills centers: Most installations have Automotive Skills Centers where you can maintain or repair your vehicle. For a minimal fee, you can use work bays, vehicle lifts, and a broad selection of tools. You can also get advice from certified mechanics.
- Libraries: Check out a bestseller, read a magazine article or study for an upcoming test with library resources. Visit your installation library or access the DOD MWR Libraries from anywhere in the world.
- Movie theaters: See the latest movies at prices lower than those at the commercial chains. Now showing: all your favorite genres and some in 3D.
- Outdoor and recreation rental centers: Need outdoor gear for a few hours or a few days? Rental centers offer campers, canoes and kayaks, canopy tents, tables and chairs, grills, garden equipment and much more.
- Camping or glamping: Find your Zen at a tent, yurt, cabin, hotel or recreational vehicle campsite in any of the 50 states. Go to the Best Kept Secrets: Joint Services Campgrounds and Facilities guide and search by state to find the rustic or luxury site that’s right for you.
See what morale, welfare and recreation offers at your own installation.
R&R off the installation
Off-installation adventures start with your installation’s Information, Tickets and Travel office outdoor recreation office. They’ll give you the scoop on sporting events, theme parks, aquariums, zoos, historical sites and other attractions, both near and far. They’re also good for discount tickets and vacation planning services. Or use your MWR benefit online with www.AmericanForcesTravel.com, this is your access to discounted airfare, hotels, car rentals, cruises and event tickets.
Be sure to check out these great off-installation opportunities:
- Lodging at recreational facilities, hotels and resorts around the world. Enjoy a cottage on the beach, a mountaintop retreat or a five-star resort with all the luxuries, both stateside and overseas.
- America the Beautiful passes offer free access to national parks — go hike, climb, ski, surf, stargaze or relax.
- Blue Star Museums allow you to soak up history, science or culture across the country — for free.
- American Forces TravelSM offers military discounts on hotels, flights, rental cars, vacation and cruise packages, event tickets and more.
Remember, each service branch has its own morale, welfare and recreation program. See what’s in store for you: (Links open in new window.)
Morale, welfare and recreation is your destination for entertainment, rest and relaxation on or off the installation. Visit your local office for more information or call Military OneSource at 800-342-9647.