Braised Short Ribs with Gravy
There’s nothing like the savory slow-cooked flavor of braised short ribs with gravy. This dish bakes for 2 hours and seasoned with thyme, bay leaves and garlic.
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 1/2 lbs. beef short ribs
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tubs Knorr® Homestyle Stock - Beef
- 5 cups water
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 package (8 oz.) cipollini onions, peeled
DirectionsEmail | Print
1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat and brown short ribs on all sides. Remove short ribs to plate. Deglaze pan with a little water, then add to large heavy-duty oven-proof pot with lid.
3. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in another skillet over low heat and cook onion and garlic to caramelize. Stir into pot with deglazing liquid. Stir in Knorr® Homestyle Stock - Beef and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in ribs, thyme and bay leaves. Cover tightly with aluminum foil, then cover with pot lid. Bake covered 2 hours. Add carrots and bake until ribs and carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, brown cipollini onions in remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in another skillet; set aside.
5. Remove ribs to serving dish and keep warm; skim fat from stock. Whisk in cornstarch blended with 1/4 cup water. Bring stock to a boil and continue boiling over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Pour gravy over ribs to serve. Garnish with caramelized cipollini onions and, if desired, additional fresh thyme.