What Is the Best Skin Care Routine for Men?
Discover the top skincare tips for men.
Identify your Skin
To begin piecing together the right skin care regimen, you have to know your skin type. It’s not an exact science, and it’s quite possible you might identify with more than one type, so pick the type that you can identify with yourself most of the time. Knowing this will help you find the best Vaseline® product (Link opens in new window.) for you.
- Sensitive skin has the potential to get irritated quickly, either after using products or by simply going outside. Try Vaseline® Intensive Care™ Advanced Repair Unscented Lotion.
- Well-balanced skin has no excess oil. Try Vaseline® Men Healing Moisture Cooling Lotion.
- Oily skin has visible shine; large visible pores. Try Vaseline® Men Healing Moisture Fast Absorbing Lotion.
- Combination skin can be dry in some areas and oily in others. Try Vaseline® Men Healing Moisture Fast Absorbing Lotion.
The Benefits of Moisturizing
Men’s skin care routines should always include a moisturizer. Why? Because your skin, especially that on your ears, face and neck, is very susceptible to environmental changes (read: dry air, cold winds); and moisturizers give your skin a protective layer of, you guessed it, moisture all day long, so that your cells get the hydration they need. Not to mention, moisturizing is known to reduce the chance of developing extreme dryness or oiliness.²
The best time to apply moisturizer is after a bath, shower or shave, basically while your skin is still damp, because hot water can strip your skin of moisture and the natural oils, leaving it dry.
Steps for Proper Skin Care
Now that you’ve identified your skin and found your moisturizer, it’s time to get into a good skin care routine.
- Cleanse your face daily: This may seem like a no-brainer when you’re in the shower, but we’re not talking about a quick once over with your bar of body soap. Soaps can often contain ingredients that can be drying to this part of the skin, so you’ll want use a mild facial cleanser, and use lukewarm water while you’re at it.³
- Give yourself a proper shave: If you often experience razor bumps or ingrown hairs, then you might want to consider switching from a single blade or double blade razor; it’s less irritating on the skin. Be sure to wet your skin before you begin to soften the hair and use a moisturizing shaving cream, shaving in the same direction as your hair growth.
- Wear sunscreen. This will help prevent sun damage that can lead to wrinkles, age spots and even skin cancer.⁴ Don’t forget about your scalp, ears, neck and lips either. For best possible coverage, use one that’s water-resistant with an SPF of 30 or higher. And there you have it! Once you get started, your skin care routine something that you should stick with daily for the best possible results. Don’t worry, getting in the habit is actually a lot easier than you think.