Whole-Wheat Spiced Orange Muffins
Makes: 12 muffins Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Total time: 45 minutes
Recipe Note: Dairy Free, 100% whole-wheat
For the Muffins
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour or regular whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup plain unsweetened dairy-free yogurt
- ⅓ cup Sir Kensington’s Avocado Oil Mayonnaise (Link opens in new window.)
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon minced orange zest (from 2–3 oranges)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar (also called sugar in the raw), for sprinkling on top
For the Glaze (optional)
- 1 cup confectioners’s sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon minced orange zest
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners (or grease the cups with nonstick spray).
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt, cloves and nutmeg in a large bowl, set aside.
- Whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, maple syrup, eggs, orange zest, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture and mix until mostly incorporated but some pockets of flour remain.
- Fold in nuts just until combined.
- Divide batter (it will be thick) between prepared muffin cups, about a heaping ¼ cup per muffin cup. Sprinkle turbinado sugar evenly over cups of batter.
- Bake muffins 5 minutes at 425°F then, keeping muffins in oven, reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 14–16 minutes more. Total bake time is about 19–21 minutes.
- Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and cool 5 minutes, then transfer muffins from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk together confectioners’ sugar, orange juice, zest and pinch of salt in small bowl until smooth. Drizzle glaze muffins and let sit until glaze dries, about 15 minutes.
- Store cooled muffins at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.