Angel Food Ice Cream Cake Recipe
Co-created with So Yummy, this ice cream cake recipe layers a classic store bought angel cake with Breyers® Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry Ice Cream.
- 1 store bought angel food cake with a hole in the center
- 2 containers Breyers® Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry Ice Cream
- 2 chocolate bars
- 2 (1 oz. pkgs) freeze dried strawberries
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries
DirectionsEmail | Print
1. Cut Angel Food Cake: Remove the angel food cake from it’s container and set the container aside. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut the angel food cake into 3 even layers. (Generally angel food cakes are slightly domed, so you will be left with a smaller top layer, a medium middle layer, and a larger bottom layer).
2. Build Layers: Place the smallest layer upside down in the angel food cake container. Scoop 4 to 5 scoops of Breyers® Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry Ice Cream ice cream over the top of the first cake layer, then top with the middle cake layer and gently press down to distribute the ice cream. Repeat with another layer of ice cream, then top with the remaining cake layer and press it into the container to adhere it to the ice cream. Freeze 2 hours.
3. Prep Toppings: While your cake is in the freezer, use this time to make chocolate shavings using the chocolate bars and a vegetable peeler. Coarsely chop the freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor.
4. Whip Cream: Whip the heavy cream in a bowl with an electric mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until it starts to thicken, then slowly add in the confectioners' sugar. Increase the speed to high and whip until you reach stiff peaks. Keep whipped cream in the refrigerator until ready to use.
5. Remove From Mold: When the cake is fully frozen, run a knife around the edge of the container, then carefully remove the cake from the mold and onto a large plate.
6. Add Toppings: Place the berries into the center hole of the angel food cake. Cover the cake with the whipped cream, smoothing the top and sides. Starting at the bottom of the cake, gently press the chocolate shavings into the whipped cream, covering the bottom 1/3 of the cake. Repeat on the middle 1/3 of the cake with the chopped freeze-dried strawberries, and then cover the top 1/3 of the cake with coconut shavings.
7. Serve: Keep the cake uncovered in the freezer until ready to serve.