Natural Strawberry Flan
Flan is a popular dessert in Spain and Latin America. Breyers Natural Strawberry Ice Cream can easily be substituted for milk in the flan mixture to give this dessert a fruity summertime spin.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 5 Tbsp. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups Breyers® Natural Strawberry Ice Cream, melted
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Pour 1 cup of sugar into a heavy bottom pan and place over medium high heat. After a few minutes the sugar will begin to melt. Swirl the pan to loosen up any sugar clumps. Once half the sugar melts, swirl and lower the heat to low. Continue to swirl until all sugar becomes a caramel color. This will take about 12 minutes.
3. Divide the melted sugar evenly between 6 ramekins; swirl inside to evenly coat the bottom of each ramekin. Set aside.
4. Add ½ cup sugar, cream cheese, eggs, vanilla extract, and Breyers® Natural Strawberry Ice Cream to a blender. Blend for 3 minutes or until smooth.
5. Evenly divide the strawberries into 6 equal parts and add 1 portion to each ramekin.
6. Pour 1 cup of flan mixture into each ramekin.
7. Cover the top of each ramekin with a piece of aluminum foil.
8. Place all the ramekins in a large baking dish then fill baking dish with 2 inches of boiling water.
9. Place baking dish filled with ramekins in oven on the 2nd lowest shelf and bake for 1 hour.
10. Remove ramekins from oven and baking dish and place on wire rack to cool for 45 minutes.
11. Remove foil from top of each ramekin and with a butter knife run the knife along the edges of the ramekin to loosen the flan from the dish. Repeat with remaining ramekins.
12. Invert each flan onto a plate and place in the refrigerator to chill overnight or a minimum of 8 hours.